Friday, July 9, 2010

No Patience

Last night, my friend Patience played this song during her show at Parima. I'd never heard it before. And it made me tear up. To recap, I don't really cry, and I sure as hell don't cry in public. Her mom may have even seen it. Mortifying. But the lyrics and message in it are so important that I had to share it with you. So click that link.

To all of you girls reading this, I put that here for you. Because I want to remind you like Paish had to remind me to please remember: You're smarter and more unique and more special then the sum of all the people who have ever been too blind or distracted to see that and screw you over and let you go. Their words are their words and their actions are their actions, and please don't let anyone ever convince you that you are their problem. You --your time, your feelings, your mind, your words, your actions-- are gifts, and
not curses. You should
never have to answer to anyone who thinks any less than that.

That's a
lesson I'm still learning.

And I'm hurt still. Civility is a handy disguise, but I'm so awkward about it and unsure and treading lightly and some days I go to sleep missing you and some mornings I wake up so pissed at you I'm not sure I ever really want to make conversation other than "How are you?" again. And it's a two-way street. You deftly ended it with exactly the words you knew it would take to get me mad enough to go away (because burning bridges seems to be a specialty of yours), so if you decide you ever want to mend things, you're going to have to say those words, too. You worried about if I could ever cut you out of my life totally. I found I probably could. We always held that "stay friends" clause. It hasn't been upheld as of late. I never told you that things changed when I came back because I found how much you'd changed. (I, taking full responsibility for my actions here, never told you a lot of things in the entirety of our interactions.) I fell out of adoration with you. I settled somewhere around "disappointing." I don't know what happened to you, and I'm sorry if it's something I could have helped or even something I couldn't've have helped with, but I miss the guy who walked through the snow in November and respected me. I don't miss the guy who played the game like I was just a handful of cards to gamble and cash in. Because I'm better than that. I think you know it, but I just hope you know it, too.

That's all I have to say.

XOXO

4 comments:

  1. "I miss the guy who walked through the snow in November and respected me. I don't miss the guy who played the game like I was just a handful of cards to gamble and cash in. Because I'm better than that."

    Knowing you are better than that is exactly what I was talking about in that song. You are better than that - we are all better than that. I'm glad you know your worth. We all deserve people in our lives who know it as well.

    Also, I can't tell you how happy it makes me that the song meant something to you.

    I love you, and your worth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That line of yours, Carissa, stopped me dead as well. And to echo Paish, I love you and your worth, too.

    And PS--that song had me tearing up, too. Also mortified by this happening in public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The power of words, of music, of friendship. Of women. Wow.

    And leave it to a nerdy neuroscientist to feel compelled to draw your attention to this recent Time article on why breakups hurt: http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2002688,00.html

    ReplyDelete